Monday, July 25, 2011

Well I wished I was in Austin....

actually, anywhere but here this morning. It is hot and humid. One of those typical summer days in the Deep South that makes you almost wish you were up in Yankee land or even Canade enjoying more temperate weather. Actually, I was looking at weather reports from Scotland and that seemed like a nice place to spend a summer.
I love to travel. I have roamed all over the US, parts of Canada and Mexico, and a fair bit of the Caribbean. Europe is on the list to visit, but goodness knows when. I got borrowed some travel videos from the library about parts of Italy. Being a student of the Empire I think I would love banging around Rome, Ravenna, Ostia, Cannae (I know that is more of a Republican site) and other parts of the country. Modern Italian politics and their economic mess are of little interest to me. That's not entirely true - their economic mess is quite interesting, as are those of Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland and let's not forget Iceland.

But for now I will sweat my summer away in the Deep South, looking at pictures of blue seas and cobbled streets, imagining the gritty narrow alleyways of cities many times older than my nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment