Thursday, August 11, 2011

I found out a long time ago,

It's a long way down the holiday road.

Or so sang Lindsay Buckingham. I need a vacation. I need to take my Little One on a vacation. But it is not to be until Christmas break, probably. School resumes on the 15th of August. I am hoping we can take a weekend trip to some coastal area before it gets too cool. Perhaps September, after Labor Day.

I am nice and busy with work, but I am also trying to explore some training opportunities to more fully develop my resume in case things change. I am also considering the option of leaving the white collar, corporate world for the world of a free-lance contractor, a white collar for hire.

The current project I am on here is rife with such folks. And they are paid outrageously. In their defense, they are working without a net: no insurance, no 401k, no retirement plan. All of this they must provide for themselves. No career track, either.

Some of them eagerly jump at full-time jobs within the company if offered. Some say they want to quit the grind of business travel. Others want the benefits. Others want the certainty of a career, and not a 12-month contract and then another job hunt.

I think the lure is stronger than the reality for me. My Little One needs me at home. I need to be here for her now. Perhaps when she has left the nest I will try the traveling life and see where it takes me. For now I am content to be a company man.

2 comments:

  1. Then again, perhaps the hunt isn't as exciting as the reality of it all.

    Why throw away what you are good at to settle for the uncertainty.

    Think about what I said. Hunt. Reality. Settle. Uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of free-lance you might say, having gone into private practice but I'm married to the insurance, 401K and so on. I'd probably still be the medical equivalent of corporate if I needed benefits. I like not having an overbearing boss but it can be a bit lonely here in flying solo land.

    ReplyDelete